Manufacturing Sales & Exports
MSES Latest Results - Published 3rd December 2014
- Total sales by manufacturing companies in Northern Ireland (NI) were estimated to be worth £18.1 billion in 2013/14. This represents an increase of 4.0% over the year in current prices and an increase of 3.2% in real terms (i.e. controlling for price changes). This compared to an increase last year of 4.4% in current prices.
- Sales within Northern Ireland decreased in current prices by £37 million to £3.7 billion – down 1.0% over the year and remaining below peak levels last reported in 2007/08.
- The value of total sales to markets outside Northern Ireland (external sales) is comprised of sales to GB plus the value of exports combined. These increased by £733 million to £14.3 billion in current prices, and accounted for over three quarters of total sales in 2013/14. External sales are at their highest on record
- Sales to Great Britain (GB) increased in current prices by £244 million to £8.2 billion – up 3.1% over the year. These are the highest level of sales to GB on record in current prices, and represent an increase of 2.0% in real terms.
- Exports increased by £491 million (8.7%) over the year, to £6.1 billion in current prices, a rise which was largely driven by an increase in sales to the Rest of the EU. After adjusting for price changes over the year, this represented an increase of 8.6% in real terms, and follows growth of 3.2% in real terms in the previous period (2011/12 - 2012/13).
- Exports to the Rest of the EU (excluding the Republic of Ireland (ROI)) increased over the year by £206 million (16.3%) to £1.5 billion in current prices. In real terms this represented an increase of 16.1%. Exports to the rest of the world increased over the year by £145 million (4.9%) to £3.1 billion in current prices.
- Exports to the Republic of Ireland increased by £140 million (9.9%) over the year, to just under £1.6 billion in current prices. This is the third consecutive year of increasing sales to ROI, following three consecutive years of falling sales. After adjusting for price changes over the year, the 2013/14 sales represented an increase of 9.8% in real terms.
Current Press Release
MSES SIC 2007 Data Tables
- Total sales = all sales regardless of destination.
- External Sales = all sales outside Northern Ireland (including sales to Great Britain).
- Exports = all sales outside the United Kingdom.
- Current results are based on a SIC 2007. Previous results were based on SIC 2003 and are not directly comparable with SIC 2007 results.
|3 December 2014||Results from the Northern Ireland Manufacturing Sales and Exports Survey 2013/14|
|29 February 2008||NI MSES Supplement - Barriers to Trade (PDF 1.2 MB)|
|26 February 2007||NI MSES Supplement - Barriers to Trade (PDF 1.2 MB)|
MSES - Quality and Revisions
|7 December 2011||MSES Quality Report (PDF 36 KB)|
|7 December 2011||MSES Revisions Policy (PDF 13 KB)|
Contact DetailsDr Catherine Lynn
Tel: 02890 529359
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: email@example.com with the title of the publications you would like to receive.