Northern Ireland Manufacturing Sales & Exports Survey (MSES)
MSES Latest Results - Published 4th December 2013
- Total sales by manufacturing companies in Northern Ireland (NI) were estimated to be worth £16.9 billion in 2012/13. This represents an increase of 1.9% over the year in current prices and an increase of 1.2% in real terms. This compared to a current price rise last year of 6.6%.
- Sales within Northern Ireland decreased in current prices by £107 million to £3.6 billion – down 2.9% over the year but remaining below peak levels last reported in 2007/08.
- The value of sales outside Northern Ireland increased by £415 million to £13.3 billion in current prices, and accounted for over three quarters of total sales in 2012/13. Manufacturing sales outside NI have returned to levels above the peak of such activity recorded in 2011/12 (£12.9 billion) and are therefore the highest on record.
- Sales to Great Britain (GB) increased in current prices by £477 million to £8.1 billion – up 6.2% over the year. These are the highest level of sales to GB on record in current prices, and represent an increase of 4.5% in real terms.
- Exports decreased by £62 million (1.2%) over the year, from just above £5.2 billion to just below £5.2 billion in current prices, a fall which was largely driven by a decrease in sales to the Rest of the EU. After adjusting for price changes over the year, this represented an increase of 0.4% in real terms, and follows growth of 4.3% in the previous period (2010/11 – 2011/12).
- Exports to the EU (excluding the Republic of Ireland (ROI)) decreased over the year by £181 million (13.1%) to £1.2 billion in current prices. In real terms this represented a decrease of 11.7%. Exports to the rest of the world increased by £52 million (2.0%) to just over £2.6 billion in current prices.
- Exports to the Republic of Ireland increased by £68 million (5.3%) over the year, from just under £1.3 billion to just over £1.3 billion in current prices. This is the second consecutive year of increasing sales to ROI, following three consecutive years of falling sales. After adjusting for price changes over the year, the 2012/13 sales represented an increase of 7.0% in real terms.
Current Press Release
MSES Statistical Press Release 2012/13 (PDF 57 KB)
MSES SIC 2007 Data Tables
1. Total sales = all sales regardless of destination.
2. External Sales = all sales outside Northern Ireland (including sales to Great Britain).
3. Exports = all sales outside the United Kingdom.
4. Current results are based on a SIC 2007. Previous results were based on SIC 2003 and are not directly comparable with SIC 2007 results.
MSES - Quality and Revisions
Manufacturing Sales & Exports Survey Background Notes
Dr Catherine Lynn
Tel: 02890 529359