NI Annual Business Inquiry
Latest Reporting Unit Results - Published 10 December 2014:
- Turnover, defined as the value of total sales and work done by businesses in Northern Ireland, was estimated to be worth £63,953 million in 2013 (excluding VAT); an increase of 3.0% compared to 2012. After expenditure on goods and services was accounted for, this represented a total figure of £18,976 million in terms of approximate Gross Value Added (aGVA). aGVA, which is a measure of the value of economic activity generated by businesses, increased by 1.6% (£293 million) over the year.
- aGVA in the production sector has grown by 8.0% between 2012 and 2013, increasing from £5,333 million to £5,757 million. Turnover in the production sector grew by 4.3%, from £20,114 million in 2012 to £20,970 million in 2013.
- Movements in the production sector are driven primarily by the performance of the manufacturing section. The Manufacturing section’s aGVA grew by 11.3% in 2012 to £4,555 million and accounted for 79.1% of the production sector’s aGVA.
- Turnover and purchases in the services sector have both increased between 2012 and 2013, growing by 3.3% and 3.4% respectively. aGVA in the services sector has increased by 3.0%, from £6,489 million in 2012 to £6,685 million in 2013.
- Both turnover and aGVA in the Construction sector have declined between 2012 and 2013. Turnover has fallen by 2.5% to £5,026 million. Purchases in the construction sector increased by 5.0% to £3,526 million; this combination of falling turnover and rising purchases has led to a 2012 to 2013 aGVA drop of 9.9%.
- Despite consistently rising turnover, aGVA in the Distribution sector has declined by 3.4% between 2012 and 2013, dropping from £5,128 million to £4,955 million.
Current Reporting Unit Publication
- Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry on a Reporting Unit basis 2013 - Published 10 December 2014 (PDF 1.2 MB)
2013 Reporting Unit Infographics
- NI Non-Financial Business Economy aGVA - annual change and trends over time - Published 10 December 2014 (PDF 479 KB)
- NI and UK Non-Financial Business Economy aGVA - growth rates by industry - Published 10 December 2014 (PDF 268 KB)
Current Local Unit Publication
- Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry on a Local Unit basis 2012 - Published 13 June 2014 (PDF 1.3 MB)
Current Reporting Unit Statistical Press Release
Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry Additional Tables
|Table 1||NIABI - Results by Section 2000-2007 (Excel 35 KB)|
|Table 2||NIABI - Results by Manufacturing Sub-Section (Excel 30 KB)|
|Table 3||NIABI - Total Purchases of Water and Energy (Excel 11 KB)|
|Table 4||NIABI - Results by NUTSiii and DCA 2009 - 2012 (Excel 199 KB)|
Usage of NIABI Data
The Annual Business Inquiry is designed and maintained to meet the requirements of a wide variety of users. A summary of these uses can be accessed by clicking on the link below.
Methods and Quality
Contact DetailsRobin Griffith
Tel: 02890 529656
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: email@example.com with the title of the publications you would like to receive.