Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry (NIABI)
Latest Reporting Unit Results - Published 11 December 2013:
- Turnover, defined as the value of total sales and work done by businesses in Northern Ireland, was estimated to be worth £61,945 million in 2012 (excluding VAT); an increase of 0.7% compared to 2011. After expenditure on goods and services was accounted for, this represented a total figure of £18,399 million in terms of approximate Gross Value Added (aGVA). aGVA, which is a measure of the value of economic activity generated by businesses, increased by 2.8% (£498 million) over the year.
- In the Distribution industries (that is, wholesale and retail trade) turnover for the sector rose by 1.1% with a marginal change in purchases (-0.1%). This contributed to aGVA growth of 2.5% to £5,200 million.
- The other main Services Industries (which comprise of transport and storage, accommodation and food services, information and communication, real estate, professional, scientific and technical, administrative and support services and other service activities), recorded an increase of 2.7% in turnover to £13,026 million but a fall of 1.1% in purchase costs, contributing to a 5.4% increase in aGVA over the year.
- Both turnover and aGVA in the Construction sector have declined in 2012. Turnover has fallen by 6.4% to £5,099 million; however the impact of this on aGVA was slightly offset by an even greater fall of 9.2% in purchases, contributing to an aGVA decline of 4.3% to £1,656 million.
- Turnover within the Production sector was estimated to be £19,576 million in 2012, a 0.8% increase on 2011. This turnover growth and a 0.7% decline in purchases to £11,038 million contributed to a 2.0% growth in aGVA to £4,693 million in 2012.
- The Manufacturing section’s aGVA grew by 3.0% in 2012 to £4,120 million and accounted for 87.8% of the Production sector’s aGVA. This aGVA growth was driven by an increase of 1.5% in turnover to £16,834 million and a marginal decline in purchases to £8,824 million.
Reporting Unit Publication:
Local Unit Publication
Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry Additional Tables
|Table name||Description||File Size|
|Table 1||NIABI - Results by Section 2000-2007||35kb|
|Table 2||NIABI - Results by Manufacturing Sub-Section||30kb|
|Table 3||NIABI - Total Purchases of Water and Energy||11kb|
|Table 4||NIABI - Results by NUTSiii and DCA 2009 - 2011||161kb|
Reporting Unit Statistical Press Release
The latest statistical press release is available below:
Usage of NIABI Data
The Annual Business Inquiry is designed and maintained to meet the requirements of a wide variety of users. A summary of these uses can be accessed by clicking on the link below.