- There are two main indicators of unemployment: · The Northern Ireland Labour Force Survey (LFS) measure which follows International Labour Organisation (ILO) guidelines and is the official Northern Ireland measure. · The Northern Ireland Claimant Count which is a measure of the number of persons claiming unemployment related benefit (Job Seekers Allowance).
- There is a large degree of overlap between the claimant count and ILO unemployment. However claimants of unemployment related benefits may not appear in the ILO measure if they state that they are not seeking, or are not available to start work. The ILO measure of unemployment refers to people without a job who were available to start work in the two weeks following their LFS interview and had either looked for work in the four weeks prior to interview or were waiting to start a job they had already obtained.
Latest Results - Published 12th August 2015
- The Labour Force Survey (LFS) indicated that the unemployment rate (16+) in Northern Ireland increased by 0.3 percentage points (pps) over the quarter to the end of June and fell over the year (by 0.1pps), to 6.5%. The UK rate was 5.6%.
Claimant Count Unemployment
- Claimant count unemployment decreases again, after increasing for the first time in 28 months last month
- Youth claimants increased over the month but decreased over the year
- 36% of claimants had been claiming benefits for over a year
- NI claimant count was higher than the UK average and the highest rate among the twelve UK regions
- Claimant count rate highest in Derry and Strabane District Council Area
|Survey / Source|
|Labour Force Survey||Seasonally Adjusted Unemployment (Excel 26 KB)|
|Unemployment by Age (Excel 21 KB)|
|Unemployment by Duration (Excel 22 KB)|
|Claimant Count||Seasonally Adjusted Claimant Count (Excel 27 KB)|
NEW - Claimant Count Interactive Maps
Please ensure browser is up-to-date when accessing the interactive maps.
|Annual Average for Parliamentary Constituency Area|
|Annual Average for Council Area|
|Monthly data for Parliamentary Constituency Area|
|Monthly data for Council Area|
UK Claimant Count Data on NOMIS
UK Claimant Count data is available for comparison via NOMIS. Nomis is a service provided by the Office for National Statistics, ONS, to give you free access to the most detailed and up-to-date UK labour market statistics from official sources.
Labour Force SurveyAndrew Mawhinney
Tel: 02890 529668
Claimant CountBrian Grogan
Tel: 02890 529311
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the publications you would like to receive.