NI Annual Business Inquiry
Latest Reporting Unit Results - Published 10 December 2014:
- Turnover, defined as the value of total sales and work done by businesses in Northern Ireland, was estimated to be worth £63,953 million in 2013 (excluding VAT); an increase of 3.0% compared to 2012. After expenditure on goods and services was accounted for, this represented a total figure of £18,976 million in terms of approximate Gross Value Added (aGVA). aGVA, which is a measure of the value of economic activity generated by businesses, increased by 1.6% (£293 million) over the year.
- aGVA in the production sector has grown by 8.0% between 2012 and 2013, increasing from £5,333 million to £5,757 million. Turnover in the production sector grew by 4.3%, from £20,114 million in 2012 to £20,970 million in 2013.
- Movements in the production sector are driven primarily by the performance of the manufacturing section. The Manufacturing section’s aGVA grew by 11.3% in 2012 to £4,555 million and accounted for 79.1% of the production sector’s aGVA.
- Turnover and purchases in the services sector have both increased between 2012 and 2013, growing by 3.3% and 3.4% respectively. aGVA in the services sector has increased by 3.0%, from £6,489 million in 2012 to £6,685 million in 2013.
- Both turnover and aGVA in the Construction sector have declined between 2012 and 2013. Turnover has fallen by 2.5% to £5,026 million. Purchases in the construction sector increased by 5.0% to £3,526 million; this combination of falling turnover and rising purchases has led to a 2012 to 2013 aGVA drop of 9.9%.
- Despite consistently rising turnover, aGVA in the Distribution sector has declined by 3.4% between 2012 and 2013, dropping from £5,128 million to £4,955 million.
2014 NI Annual Business Inquiry Questionnaire
For details of changes to the 2014 NI Annual Business Inquiry questionnaire please see the link below:
Current Reporting Unit Publication
- Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry on a Reporting Unit basis 2013 - Published 10 December 2014 (PDF 1.2 MB)
2013 Reporting Unit Infographics
- NI Non-Financial Business Economy aGVA - annual change and trends over time - Published 10 December 2014 (PDF 479 KB)
- NI and UK Non-Financial Business Economy aGVA - growth rates by industry - Published 10 December 2014 (PDF 268 KB)
Current Local Unit Publication
- Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry on a Local Unit basis 2012 - Published 13 June 2014 (PDF 1.3 MB)
Current Reporting Unit Statistical Press Release
Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry Additional Tables
Usage of NIABI Data
The Annual Business Inquiry is designed and maintained to meet the requirements of a wide variety of users. A summary of these uses can be accessed by clicking on the link below.
Methods and Quality
Contact DetailsRobin Griffith
Tel: 02890 529656
If you would like to be added to a mailing list and receive the latest publications on the day they publish please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the publications you would like to receive.